Sunday, October 4, 2009

capitalism: a love affair

This afternoon I saw Capitalism: a love affair, the new Michael Moore documentary. It was disturbing and interesting all at the same time. The main point of the movie is that capitalism will be the end of America and the country needs to reestablish itself along democratic lines. Moore really did show that each person exercising their right to vote does make a difference. When the masses work together they really can execute change. The movie showed the power of unions to establish fair work places. Moore also shows that true biblical Christianity and the message of Jesus do not align themselves with the conservative American right. That was refreshing.

In discussion following the movie we concluded that Capitalism really isn't the problem. Unionization and the assembly of the people are not the answers. Democracy is not the answer. The underlying problem is our selfish, greedy hearts and, as my pastor would say, the answer is Jesus and his ability to transform us. It sounds so Sunday School but really, if you really sit down and think about it, submitting ourselves to the transforming power of Jesus and His message could only result in good for us and for all those around us. Because we would then be walking in grace and putting others before ourselves, making sure the widow and the orphan are clothed and fed and doing all things out of love, standing up against injustice, loving God with all our hearts and souls and minds, loving our neighbours as ourselves and doing everything we can within our power to live in peace.

Now, I completely understand that that isn't reality and won't ever happen here on earth but I can do my part. I can work towards being a person who is everything listed above so my neighbour will be cared for. As a nurse, I can do everything within my power to make sure that universal health care remains a reality in Canada so that the street guy is in the room next to the politician and they are getting the exact same excellence of care simply because they are both human beings. I can allow the message and presence of Jesus to change me. I really do think it's my only hope.

No comments: