Monday, October 12, 2009

conversation with pharmacy

Those of you who are my friends know there are two departments that make my days at work more interesting than they need to be. Those departments are the pharmacy and the lab. Today was no different. P=pharmacy M=Me

Phone rings

M-ICU, Laura speaking"

P-You're the nurse for patient S?"

M-Yes

P-We want to change the dose of the medication he's on. How do you feel about that?

M-How do I feel about that? I'm not sure I understand.

P-Well, how you feel about it?

M-I feel indifferent.

P-Oh. Can you ask Dr. W how she feels about changing the dose of the medication?

M-No.

P-No?

M-You can ask the doctor. Here's her pager number.

15 minutes later:

P-So I asked the doctor about how she feels about changing the dose and she feel fine so we changed it.

M-Great.

P-What times are you giving the med?

M-The times that the pharmacy put on the medication administration record.

P-Really? You're actually giving them at those times? (at this point I want to poke my eyes out)

M-Yes, I'm really giving them at those times. 1000 and 2200 like it says.

P-So the drug level that was drawn was it actually before the last dose was given?

M-What time was the drug level drawn?

P-925

M-Last time I checked that was before 10.

P-Oh, yeah I guess that's true.

M-Ok then.

No comments: