Wednesday, March 11, 2009

hubcaps and happiness

On Saturday, my brother, sister in law, parents and I gathered to have lunch to celebrate my dad's birthday. I arrived before my brother so I parked in the left hand spot. My brother pulled into the spot to the right of me. I was already settled inside chatting with my parents when my brother came in and said, "what the heck happened to your hubcaps?!" I responded, giggling, "well, they're plastic and I've had them for a while. I guess I've gotten a little too close to the curb a couple of times." And, as all good brothers do, he repeatedly teased me about this throughout the afternoon. I have learned over my life that the best thing to do with teasing brothers is too not react, but I've been out of practice for a few years and so I kept laughing at him which I'm sure was very encouraging. When we were all leaving he said, "buy hubcaps on the way home!!"

Yesterday, I was at work, on a break and I could hear my phone vibrating in my bag so I quickly grabbed it and answered. The following conversation ensued:

"hello?"

"It's Simon. Are you at home tonight?"

"Not until after 8. Why?"

"I'm coming over. For about 10 minutes"

"Okay. Why?"

"I have something to show you."

"Well, do you want me to come to your place on my way home?"

"Sure. see you later."

"okay."

Well, being a girl and being me, I start to wonder, what the heck?!! My brother rarely calls me and he never comes over for 10 minutes just to show me something. Anyway, I show up at his house, knock on the door, go in and there he is with four brand new hubcaps. I throw my head back and laugh. We go outside, he puts the hubcaps on my car, I hug him and say, "thanks, that was a nice older brother thing to do." He looks at me with a little smirk and says, "I didn't do it for you, I did it for me" which we all know isn't true.


No comments: