Sunday, September 16, 2007

Grace

Many interesting people have crossed my path this week. The person who stands out among the crowd is an Iraqi woman I have had the privilege of talking to a few times. On Saturday, after meeting her a couple of times, we started really talking about Iraq. I could see the sadness on her face as she talked about her country saying, "no matter what, the place you love is the place you were born." She said the people truly believed that their country would be better without Saddam and now no one believes it will ever be okay. She said, "how can Iraq ever be okay again?" My heart honestly ached as I listened to her and thought to myself, "where is grace in this situation?"

Where is grace in so many situations? When someone who wounded you is now wounded, what is the response that is full of grace? What happens to your heart when someone you've wounded responds with true grace? It's disarming isn't it? Today during our gathering our pastor had a brilliant revelation...to have the whole congregation serve each other communion while saying, "Grace be with you." Watching from behind my keyboard I found myself moved as the body of Christ served each other the remembrance of His body and blood. This is the picture the world needs to see; serving, loving and grace filled...truly grace filled.

No comments: