Wednesday, April 15, 2009

cautiously hopeful

I am going to the first game of the first series in the playoffs tonight. Canucks versus St. Louis. The Canuckleheads!! They made it. It was a little precarious for a while there and the whole city could feel it. What with waiting and waiting and waiting to see whether or not Mats Sundin would sign and whether or not it would make a difference. And Luongo and his groin injury. And some really terrible hockey at some points. Sheesh! They know how to stress a girl out but they came through in the end and won the Northwest Division! YES! And I get to go and help send them off into playoff land.

Yesterday at work I was reminiscing with a co-worker about previous playoff years. She went to the final game of the Stanley Cup finals back in 1982. I was in elementary school when the Canucks made a run for the cup against the New York Islanders. At the time their goalie was Richard Brodeur and he was amazing. Some radio station wrote a song called King Richard. I can still sing portions of that song. "King Richard, gonna help us win the cup, King Richard gonna take us to the top..." I remember being outside at recess and me and my friends would sing that song at the top of our lungs while playing tetherball. FUN!

Then 1994. Again New York, but this time the Rangers. Great hockey. Stupid rioters. Honestly, people are ridiculous. I don't really think they were upset about hockey. I think people riot and essentially throw adult temper tantrums 'cause they feel out of control and hopeless.

So, now it's 2009. We again have a great goalie. According to some NHL experts that is what matters. All teams that have won the cup have a great guy in the net. We also have two great offensive lines. Usually we only have one but now we have two! So, to quote the title of this post. I am cautiously hopeful.

No comments: