Sunday, April 26, 2009

me and my keys

I think I may have to get one of those nerdy hip clips for my keys. ( see previous post titled Elevator April 4). Yesterday evening I went to the big bin outside my apartment building to throw away my old bike tires. I unlock the garbage bin and throw in the tires. I also throw in my keys. Either the dye that keeps my hair so lovely and blonde is beginning to seep into my brain or my keys are hankering for some adventure. I look at my keys in the bottom of the bin and think "well, I guess I could climb in there and get them" but I don't really want to do that. I could ask my friend who is putting the new tires on my bike, who is over 6 feet tall, to come outside and reach into the bin for my keys but he is being very helpful and I don't want to disturb. Then I look up. There at the bin next door is a guy. Dishevelled, a little dirty. Wearing a nice red hoodie. He's picking through the recycling bins and opening whatever lid doesn't have a lock.

"Hey buddy! do you think you could give me a hand?"

"What do you need?"

"Well, I accidentally dropped my keys into this bin."

"Be right there."

He secures his stuff and comes over. I point to my keys. He reaches in, grabs them and hands them to me.

"Thank you so much." I smile.

"You're welcome." He smiles.

It was a lovely interaction. I hope I see him again.

1 comment:

brando said...

i could give you some tips about the nerdy hip clip thing... you'll be proud to know i'm still sporting mine.