Sunday, March 18, 2007

the lure of apples

I spent friday night and saturday morning helping out with a silent retreat at my friend's retreat centre in Abbotsford. I got to be part of the retreat by proxy as I was there to make meals and take some of the pressure off my friend. It was an amazing time to be silent and listen to God for a while. In the session before the silence began my friend told a story about her mom and dad. Her dad has dementia and is in an extended care facility. Her mom goes to visit him everyday. she takes fresh fruit, usually apples, for him and all the other residents of the facility. His roommate was a particularly bitter man and apparently got quite angry whenever my friends mom would talk to him about Jesus. She kept bringing him apples and stopped talking about Jesus. Last week this old man, in an extended care facility, became a christian. He now has a friendship with Jesus. Because of an apple. I guess fruit really is enticing.

No comments: