Saturday, March 31, 2007

laughter and tears

I left the house in my slippers yesterday...to go grocery shopping. It was kind of embarassing actually because when I approached the elevator I realized I was wearing slippers and not shoes and I laughed out loud and said, "What the heck are you doing?!!" to no one in particular. However, one of my neighbours happened to be standing right there. I turned and smiled at her while giggling at myself. She didn't seem to think it was as funny as me.

Movies can be powerful experiences sometimes. On Thursday I saw Amazing Grace. You should see it too. It's about William Wilberforce's struggle to abolish slavery and the trade of human beings. When he was deciding between going into ministry or becoming a politician one of the few women who was part of the struggle said "May I say you could dare to do both." That's what he did. He did ministry by freeing slaves. There was hope that a difference could be made.

Last night my roommate and I watched Blood Diamond. Violent. Horrifying. Overwhelming. Sad. Will not buying a diamond really dent the corruption of our greed or my greed for that matter? It may assuage some of the guilt of being part of the overwhelming situation. About a year ago I began to wonder if I would ever allow myself to wear a diamond. My heart has been pulled toward 'no' and this movie clinched it.

However, the difference between these two movies was that, although both realities are overwhelming and almost incomprehensible, the first left you with the feeling that you can make a difference. The second left you feeling like you can try to do this one small thing but it probably won't do anything. I must believe one life can make a difference...an eternal difference. Either here or there. Anywhere you are, anywhere I am a difference must be felt. Maybe the ripple effect will change the overwhelming situation. We've got to at least try.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

and it's so hard when you see real-life scenarios that cause you to feel both the former and the latter emotions.

brando said...

sorry- wrong login- that was me.