Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Music is a beautiful thing

Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without-Confucius. I think this is really true. Especially when you have the pleasure of being a maker of music. Tonight was worship team rehearsal and we played some good music. It is such a pleasure to watch my friends play their instruments. Each person is responsible for what they are doing with their instrument but it is all of those individual instruments working together that create the song and the experience of that song. Playing songs can become old and repetitive until we break out of the mold and try something new with the same old chords. That's when magic happens. Sometimes it seems as though my heart will burst. It is heart wrenching in the most beautiful sort of way.

Isn't this the same as life? It is routine and repetitive then something happens to break us out of the mold. We walk to work a different way. We try a new coffee place. We see someone we've known forever in a new way. We experience tradition differently. Easter is this weekend. It has been part of my life as long as I can remember, yet every year my heart is moved in a new way. Will I see the crucifixion of Jesus differently this year? Perhaps it will be the resurrection. Perhaps I will see the story from the perspective of Judas or see the rendering of the curtain in a new way. I don't know. But I anticipate it will be heart wrenching in a beautiful kind of way.

No comments: