Sunday, June 24, 2007

drink

A person can only survive for three days without something to drink. Water is necessary for our bodies to work. Everything slows down, becomes sluggish. The mouth becomes dry. The heart beats faster because there is less blood to pump. Blood pressure will drop because blood vessels aren't as full as they should be. Things just don't work like they're supposed to.

I think it's weird that I can't just drink once and get it over with. Why can't I have have one big glass of water and be done with it? That would mean I would have no dependence on anything. But aren't we supposed to depend? It keeps us humble and grateful.

The physical thirst we have serves to remind us of our emotional and spiritual thirst. It reminds us that our dependence extends beyond a glass of water. We need people to know us and quench us. There really is nothing more comforting than being in the presence of people who know us and receive us anyway. Knowing glances between people that can result in gales of laughter or tears welling up. No words, just knowledge. Sometimes it's scary. What if I get hurt or taken advantage of? What if my feelings become more vulnerable? Isn't it worth being scared sometimes? I think getting past that fear can open doors to places that can't be explained, just experienced.

We are also reminded that we need Jesus to quench that deep thirst that can't really be explained. It's just there and we all know we have it. The beautiful thing is that He can and will satisfy that deep thirst if we allow Him to. But it's scary isn't it? What if I get hurt or taken advantage of? What if my feelings become raw and vulnerable? What if I actually need to submerge myself in that water instead of just sipping at the surface?

Isn't it worth being scared sometimes? I think getting past that fear can open doors to places that can't be explained....they must be experienced.

No comments: