Sunday, June 17, 2007

quotes of various kinds

I really love quotes. Don't you? some are inspiring, some are annoying and some are downright funny. Often when I read a book, a phrase or a sentence or two will jump out at me and I think, "I have to write that down. It's fantastic." Or I'll be talking to someone and they'll say something that amuses me or touches me and I will make a mental note of it. This happens to me more often than most people...I think. Mainly it's because I am hypersensitive to my surroundings and I take a lot of things in quickly. The absurdity of situations catches me off guard and I laugh out loud before I can catch myself. Anyway, I digress.

These first quotes are from Blue Shoes and Happiness, the 7th book in the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency Series:

"Happiness was an elusive thing. It had something to do with having beautiful shoes, sometimes; but it was about so much else. About a country. About a people. About having friends like this."

"When the rains came, of course, then everything would be different, and the brown which covered the land, the trees, the stunted grass, would be replaced by green, by growth, by tendrils stretching out, by leaves unfolding. It would happen so quickly that one might go to bed in a drought and wake up in a landscape of shimmering patches of water and cattle with skin washed sleek by the rain."

Stranger than Fiction:

"If a man knew he was going to die and still chose to do it, isn't that the kind of man you'd like to have around?"

Sarah Wright (sunday school teacher extraordinaire):

"who doesn't like stick on gems? I mean really..."

Me talking about the old Vancouver Canucks jersey:

"why the big 'V'? It's not even part of the name."

Norm:

"I'm so much like Jonah the book should be called Normah."

Rikk Watts talking about the Apostle Paul's use of the word we. Say it out loud, it'll make more sense:

"Now we're going to talk about the 'we'ness of Paul."

I honestly could go on and on because each day is filled with these glorious nuggets of poignancy and hilarity. May you all see each moment in a new light of beauty.

This picture is one I took while I walked through the city to meet some friends for a beer. another beautiful moment captured forever. Doesn't it make the ordinary extraordinary?





No comments: