Sunday, June 10, 2007

Monopoly Curse


A couple of months ago I wrote about playing Monopoly with my friends Dave and Karla. I wrote about how we had fun and how it was always fun although I lost all the time. I thought it was funny I never won. Those thoughts went through my head because I anticipated that that would change sooner rather than later. We started keeping a tally of wins and losses on the inside of the lid. Surely probability would dictate that I would win. Well.....i was wrong. Not even statistics can help the abysmal state of the world of Monopoly.


I have concluded that I have a curse when it comes to monopoly. Now for all of you who are hyperventilating because I've used the word curse (not a curse word!!) calm down. This is all in good fun. There are various curses in the gaming world. The Curse of the Bambino had kept the Boston Red Sox from winning the World Series since 1920 until 2004 when the curse was broken. The Billy Goat Curse has plagued the Chicago Cubs since 1945 when William "Billy Goat" Sianis was denied entrance to the stadium with his pet goat. He cast a goat curse on the Cubs and they haven't won a world series since then. The New York Rangers were under a 54 year curse until they beat our beloved Canucks in 1994. The list goes on and on. I want to name my curse but it's got to be good. Dave and Karla and I briefly discussed the idea of a mascot...what should it be?! Better yet, what should the prize be when the curse is finally broken?!! Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated and fun!!

No comments: